Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Reference Map of Portage, WI


Intro:
For this map I was tasked with taking creating a reference map of a location.  I chose to map my hometown, Portage, WI.

Methods:
I began by taking an aerial image of my hometown from ArcMap and exporting it into AdobeIllustrator.  Then, I proceeded to trace out some of the more important elements of my hometown which I wanted to be featured in my map.  These elements included, significant bodies of water, major streets, and major structures.  The most difficult part of this map was adjusting to the fact that not everything could be done perfectly.  The aerial map wasn't perfectly clear at some points and I had to adjust some of the features and labels to insure they fit well with the other map elements.

Results:
The end result is a very simple reference map of Portage, WI which could possibly be used to highlight the city to tourists or other visitors.


No comments:

Post a Comment