Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Map Projections of South America


Intro:
The main purpose of this map was to learn how much different map projections can change the appearance of a map.  It is difficult to take a spherical object, such as the earth, and project it onto a flat surface, such as a map.  In order to do this many map projections were created and this exercise aided me in being introduced to them.

Methods:
I went into ArcGIS and began with a view of South America.  I took this image and projected it to several of the major projections in use today (Albers Equal Area and Equidistant Conic are two examples).  After each projection I would export the projection into AdobeIllustrator.  After I had all of the projection in AdobeIllustrator I arranged them on top of one another.  After that it was just a matter of making sure each different projection could be clearly seen and was labeled in the legend.  I've also provided a brief description of projections alongside the images of the continent.

Results:
This exercise taught me how different projections are skewed in certain ways, and the best projections to use in order to minimize certain errors.  I also learned how to bring maps into AdobeIllustrator from ArcGIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment