Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Africa Reference Map



Intro:
This was the first map that I created in AdobeIllustrator.  This is a reference map of the country of Africa displaying political boundaries and some physical features such as rivers.  As I was relatively new to AdobeIllustrator this map took a while to design and perfect the way I wanted it.

Methods:
I took a basemap of Africa and began shading in the different colors.  These specific colors were chosen using http://colorbrewer2.com/, which is a great resource that I learned I would be using time and again for my future maps.  I made sure to keep the amount of diferent colors of the countries down to five to help insure the map stayed readable.  The most difficult part of this exercise (other than this was the first time I'd really ever used AdobeIllustrator extensively) was getting all of the labels to fit well, especially withing small countries such as Rwanda.

Results: 
The results are a suitable reference map for Africa that clearly shows political boundaries and important physical features of the continent, which includes all of the five basic essentials of map design.

No comments:

Post a Comment